Starting in early DecemberAli Forney Center, a New York City advocacy organization for homeless LGBT teens, started a program called Homeless for the Holidays. The YouTube videos focus on LGBT youngsters and their stories of surviving in the city.
The interviews are conducted, and prepared, by AFC founder and executive director Carl Siciliano.
'It is a terrible thing that so many LGBTQ youth are driven from their homes and forced into destitution in the streets,' Siciliano said in a statement. 'It is truly one of the most terrible expressions of homophobia in our time. And what they endure is made far worse by their not having access to shelter.'
In New York City, LGBT youth comprise 40 percent of the homeless teenage population. This means approximately 1,600 of the city’s 3,800 homeless young adults are gay and lesbian. There are only 250 youth shelter beds provided by the city.
Click the header link above to watch the video.
34 Notes/ Hide
- student118 likes this
- tornheartbrokenpieces likes this
- electradaddy likes this
- defendingequality reblogged this from projectqueer
- mexipino91 likes this
- callmequell likes this
- hr0debert likes this
- ifindyourpresencedistressing likes this
- torukun1 likes this
- titotibok reblogged this from titotito
- pfowolf likes this
- shananzaa likes this
- mscgl likes this
- ma-bster likes this
- edgarwhitmanwilde reblogged this from projectqueer
- edgarwhitmanwilde likes this
- titotito reblogged this from projectqueer
- lacommunarde reblogged this from projectqueer
- witchwolfprince reblogged this from projectqueer
- mightybearfalconlives likes this
- spoopychaser likes this
- ihavegoneintohiding reblogged this from projectqueer
- ihavegoneintohiding likes this
- revolutionaryrainbows reblogged this from projectqueer
- colderthanpenguinpussy likes this
- lesbilicious-amazon reblogged this from projectqueer
- projectqueer posted this