Special fortnightly “Soho masses” held for gay and lesbian Catholics at a central London church for the past six years are to end, the archbishop of Westminster has announced. The services, intended to be particularly welcoming to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender
ed Catholics, had been held with the blessing of senior clergy at the Our Lady of the Assumption church in the West End but had attracted criticism from traditionalists.
The cancellation will be seen as a victory for those who lobbied for an end to what they see as an affront to church teachings. The move comes as the Catholic church fights plans for same-sex marriage. In a statement the diocese of Westminster said while the services would stop, “pastoral care of the community will continue” at the Jesuit Farm church in Mayfair, central London, on Sunday evenings.
In a statement on the Catholic Herald website, the archbishop, Vincent Nichols, said: “The proper use of our sexual faculty is within a marriage, between a man and a woman, open to the procreation and nurturing of new human life.”
Click the header link above to read the full article.
20 Notes/ Hide
- torukun1 likes this
- simplejellyfish reblogged this from projectqueer and added:
- simplejellyfish likes this
- inourwordsblog reblogged this from projectqueer
- thirdskin reblogged this from projectqueer
- racefromthisholeshecallshome likes this
- theshoresofdarkness reblogged this from swampertus
- swampertus reblogged this from projectqueer
- batsudreamer reblogged this from thepeoplesrepublicofheaven
- isntithateful likes this
- holygoddamnshitballs reblogged this from projectqueer
- holygoddamnshitballs likes this
- kefkaownsall reblogged this from thepeoplesrepublicofheaven
- rosemaryanne likes this
- talesofthestarshipregeneration reblogged this from projectqueer
- awkwardsophieisawkward reblogged this from projectqueer
- badhousewine likes this
- projectqueer posted this