Analyzing and refuting the inaccuracies lodged against the lgbt community by religious conservative organizations. Lies in the name of God are still lies.
Ex-gay group, Peter Sprigg trying to cause anti-gay havoc in Maryland schoolsPeter Sprigg, Family Research Council
A situation is brewing in a Maryland school district which demonstrates not only the duplicity of the so-called ex-gay movement, but also the Family Research Council.
From the webpage Teach The Facts:
… the MCPS Citizens Advisory Committee for Family Life and Human Development voted to make some minor changes to the sex-ed curriculum. These changes were actually recommended by a previous citizens advisory committee and rejected by the district in 2007, and now a new committee has asked the Superintendent again to recommend to the Board that they modify the curriculum.
Last year the Maryland chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics sent a letter to the Montgomery County Public Schools noting that some statements that had been recommended for inclusion in the curriculum were rejected, and urged the Board of Education to consider adding the material. The letter was partly a reaction to an anti-gay fake pediatric group contacting the school district. The statements are:
* Homosexuality is not a disease or a mental illness (teachers currently can only say this in response to a question)
* Sexual orientation is not a choice and the American Medical Association opposes “therapies” that seek to change sexual orienation that are premised on the assumption that people can or should change their sexual orientation
* Children raised by same-sex couples do just as well as those raised by heterosexuals, and are no more likely to be homosexual
* Children who have fleeting same-sex attractions may assume incorrectly that they are gay or lesbian. Mere fleeting attraction does not prove orientation.
* Homosexuals can live happy, successful lives; they can be successful parents
The citizens advisory committee voted 9 to 3 … to add these recommendations to the curriculum, removing the words “can or” from the second item.
Naturally some folks aren’t happy about this. An ex-gay group, PFOX (Parents and Friends of ExGays and Gays) claims that the statements are bashing ex-gays, even though none of the statements say a word about “ex-gays.”
8 Notes/ Hide
- caseyeger reblogged this from projectqueer and added:
- icedcoffeee likes this
- isitorderorisitchaos likes this
- tankgrlrox81 reblogged this from projectqueer
- filopodia reblogged this from projectqueer
- riley-ferretboy-konor likes this
- alicethebanshee reblogged this from projectqueer
- thehopeharvest likes this
- projectqueer posted this